Legal research is a necessary part of the legal profession. Without access to accurate and up-to-date information, lawyers and other legal professionals cannot provide their clients with the best advice possible in order for them to make informed decisions.
To aid these professionals, there are many different digital tools available that enable users to quickly search through thousands of resources; both online such as databases or journals, but also off-line material like hardcopy books found in libraries.
In this article, we will look at seven of the most popular legal research tools currently being used by attorneys: LexisNexis, Westlaw, Bloomberg Law, Fastcase, Casetext, Google Scholar, and Ravel Law.
We’ll explore how each one can be beneficial when conducting legal research including features they all offer so readers can choose which tool best suits their needs.
LexisNexis is a great research tool for lawyers in almost any practice area who wish to obtain reliable information quickly.
It provides integrated case analytics capabilities so users can easily find connections between legal issues or people related to their queries as well as tailored filters that allow them to narrow down results more efficiently – saving time when researching complexities like precedent-based decisions or intricate transactional matters.
Features of LexisNexis
LexisNexis offers various features which make it a great research tool for legal professionals.
- Search engine– The ability to search articles
- Summaries– Statutes and case summaries
- Automated alerts– offering fresh updates on topics
- Direct links– with relevant websites such as Westlaw’s eu-Lex database
providing access to thousands of EU applicable regulations from almost all 27 European Union countries;
- Fast initialization speeds
Westlaw is one of the leading databases for legal research.
It was created by Thomson Reuters and provides access to a wide variety of sources which are kept up-to-date. They offer several different subscription options depending on the type of user, ranging from general practitioners all the way to top law firms or in-house counsels.
Features of West Law
Some features they variously provide include:
- Efficient search engine-that enables users to easily look through hundreds of thousands documents
- Comprehensive coverage- including state legislation and caselaw courts as well as some federal information;
- Regular updates-ensuring clients can stay abreast with any changes
- Analysis tools-such as what’s new flowsheets making it easier for attorneys to quickly spot relevant laws and cases
- User profiles-so companies’ data can be stored securely
- Sharing capabilities- allowing professionals within larger organizations to collaborate while researching together.
In addition Westlaw also offers tutorials designed specifically for lawyers who may not be fully familiarized with their platform yet, helping them understand how its resources work best when completing due diligence or
Bloomberg Law is an online legal research, data and analytics platform that helps lawyers find the information they need quickly while staying current in their fields.
It provides access to news from diverse trusted sources, as well as integrated search features for case law studies across on-premise databases and Westlaw Edge content. Users have access to related bookshelf materials organized by subject area making it easier to narrow down relevant material throughout their research process.
Additionally, users can highlight text and add annotations directly within the platform
Features of Bloomberg
Law Bloomberg offers a wide range of features designed specifically with attorneys in mind:
- Easy navigation- through federal court opinions & statutory codes
- Smart alert feature- which allows user to receive notifications when something new develops in areas they track
- Annotate function- Featuring highlighting capabilities where text or images can be edited / annotated/saved
- Guides providing quick reports on important topics – past litigation cases summaries etc.
- Filtering options- such as customized homepage layout , sorting according to jurisdiction relevance date time etc.
All these tools help save valuable time which attorneys normally spend manually searching multiple sites for specific answers needed during research processes .
Fastcase is the leading next-generation legal research service that provides users with access to more than 11 billion documents from both U.S. and international law sources, including state-specific resources such as statutes, regulations, court opinions and briefs from 50+ states which makes it ideal for researching US jurisprudence or practice areas in full detail without having to pay high subscription fees like other competitors combined services offer.
Features of Fastcase
In addition to its robust digital library, Fastcase also provides:
- AI-enabled analysis tools-make useable analytics on histogram bar graphs
- Timelines based- on user’s query results within a few seconds – all customizable using multiple filters attribute options
- Users can save their searches-gain back insights into future queries while building their own precedent libraries
- Communities built-around specific practices via dedicated discussion networks help further enhance efficiency
- Build relationships- with same industry experts thus improving overall accuracy and finding reliable solutions faster increments – often available no premium cost whatsoever with total reliance open
Casetext is an AI powered legal research platform designed to make it easier for users to access the most up-to-date law information quickly and efficiently.
It offers a range of features including free or affordable search options , easy navigation, seamless integration with other tools such as Westlaw/LexisNexis and highlight & annotate functions amongst many others.
Features of Casetext
Some key features which makes this tool so popular include :
- Fast Citator – This ensures accuracy by providing instant alerts when changes are made in the court document
- Full Text Search – Users have full access to over 10 million pages from state & federal codes
- Annotations – Capabilities for text highlighting etc., creating comment threads attached to these marked texts
- Explore Feature – generates personalised workflows like issue summaries direct reference cases using natural language processing techniques saving time
- RSS Feeds Support – Delivering continuous updates on topics searched frequently. All these advantages help users stay informed about new laws even if they lack reliable resources available at their disposal otherwise.
Google Scholar is an online academic search engine, providing access to scholarly literature from all over the world.
It offers quick and easy ways for lawyers to locate case law analysis from journals, magazines and more in a single location without having to manually browse multiple sources.
Just like other platforms mentioned previously , it provides resources such as legal opinions from past litigation – current laws & statutes along with cited references leading easily into further research .
Features of Google Scholar
Google Scholars top features include:
- Easy discovery process- allowing users to quickly seek out relevant knowledge
- Compilation of court decisions- as well as news stories related to recent cases at hand
- Fully automated format- including citation reference ability which allows user sift through large amounts information accurately (indexing etc )
- Advanced query capabilities-where accurate documents are sorted based on specific keywords or themes
- Notification service-delivering new content considered critically important straight their inbox eliminating endless searches done manually.
All these functions not only help attorneys stay ahead their competitors when gathering data but also efficiently saves time usually spent crawling different sites for latest updates available allowing them serve client’s needs faster than ever
Ravel Law is an online legal research platform with a wealth of case law information from both federal and state courts as well as federals statues, regulations, legislative materials etc.
It helps users uncover relevant cases quickly by providing effective search features and sophisticated analytics visualization tools to make their work easier.
You can choose between different views like timeline view or grid view when looking specific items related to caselaw history adding more flexibility in comparison ot branch based results that other platforms offer.
Features of Ravel Law
Ravel Law top features include:
- Accuracy- Ravel ramps up the accuracy at which cases come together through sandwhich theory or any bluebook methods while contextualizing them in real time – this gives attorneys better control over every step they make throughout complex multi-case processes without loosing sight of bigger picture contents
- Integrated library design– There’s no need for manual sorting out since revel enables user sawat taxonomical hierarchies in order to access multiple sources such as journals briefs encyclopedias.
Making it even simpler extract info needed during current topics developments you follow more efficiently rather than wasting hours scrolling aimlessly across various databases .
Access to accurate information
In conclusion, the legal profession requires attorneys to have access to accurate and up-to-date information so that they can provide their clients with sound advice.
There are many digital tools available for lawyers to use in order achieve this goal, but seven of them stand out amongst the rest: LexisNexis, Westlaw, Bloomberg Law, Fastcase, Casetext, Google Scholar and Ravel Law.
Although all offer a range of advantageous features such as enhanced search capabilities and customizable alert options; it is important for each users specific needs versus budget when deciding which one best suits them.
In summary selecting a tool comes down to what you need now as well as how much money you’re willing to spend on future updates or changes since those may be necessary depending on the nature and duration of your research project.
- How to Create Reliable AI Legal Assistant for Lawyers - June 7, 2023
- How Law Firms Can Practice Effective Prompt Engineering With ChatGPT and Generative AI - June 5, 2023
- Role of ChatGPT in the Legal Profession - June 4, 2023